March 24, 2009

Every Woman's Marriage (my new Bible study)

So I just started a new Bible study w/some friends on Thursday mornings. I was ready for some "girl time" to chat, catch up, and maybe learn a few things about marriage. I knew Livi would love having some play time w/the other kiddos in the nursery at church, so it was a win-win situation! Then, Week 1 hit...

Not only is this Bible study going to be convicting, it may be downright scary to examine the innermost reasons why marriage can be so challengin sometimes, especially since the focus of this study isn't reforming Matt, it's reforming ME! The nerve! (sense the sarcasm)

So in light of the devastating blow I took in Week 1, I'm going to take a minute to journal what I've learned so far...
-I have to be happy w/myself before I can be truly happy in my marriage (Please don't get me wrong, Matt and I are extremely happy and secure in our marriage. But every marriage can use a little fine-tuning!)
-Matt was not meant to be my white knight in shining armor (I know, gasp, right?!) He cannot save me from all of my insecurities! (but he is still kinda my knight in shining armor:)
-Men need to feel like heroes to their wives. (AKA-I was taking dinner to a friend who had recently had a baby and I needed a serving dish that Matt had taken to the high school a week ago. Knowing I had to have it in order to transport the meal to my friend, Matt somehow came home during the day to deliver the dish! I don't know how he did it, but he did! I didn't make a big enough deal about his efforts - I need to remedy that!)
-Showing some grace to your hubby can make all the difference! When he has to stay at work late unexpectedly, don't assume it's b/c he's putting work ahead of you! He wants to be home more than he wants to be at work! Believe that!
-Make your home/your attitude something your hubby wants to come home to! I wonder sometimes when Matt and I talk at lunch and I'm stressed or just crabby if he ever thinks, "Well, tonight should be a blast!"

Little things make all the difference and this week I've decided to take charge w/ some of those little things. I'll let you know how it goes :)

No comments: