October 12, 2010

Living Out John 16:33

Nothing could have prepared me for this news. I'd always thought my granddad was invincible. He'd weathered storms before, medically-speaking. He was always out and about in his big truck - shaking hands, visiting others who were ill in their homes, checking on the cows at the farm, making sure things were running right at the stockyard. Then one day, a doctor walked into the room and put an approximate expiration date on his life. Months! Not years? My family was just down there at the end of August and he was doing ok...not great...but he drove us out to the farm (telling us every piece of precious history he knew about the passing roads and pastures)...he played with the kids, allowing them to empty a box of toys and pile them one by one in his lap. So to hear how quickly it was all fading, I just couldn't comprehend. I didn't even cry at first. It didn't seem real. But when I'd had a few minutes to replay the conversation, and in the context of knowing I shouldn't be traveling long distances this late in my pregnancy, I lost it. Bad. I knew he wouldn't take treatment in place of going home and living out his days in his own house. But it just broke me.
I've spent a lot of time searching scripture for uplifting words...not for him, as he won't take many phone calls or visitors right now...but more for me. I'm gasping for words to make me feel better, to help me cope with the thought of losing the man who'd spent so much quality time with me through the years - fishing, driving around town and country, sipping Mt. Dew at the Huddle House with his buddies, hanging out at the stockyard...proudly showing off me and my brother every leg of the journey. He'd made the trip to SC twice to meet my kids soon after their arrival - that's HUGE for a man who loves nothing more than the simple life in a simple town.
The scripture I've rested on is John 16:33..."I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." God never said it would be easy. He promises trials. He guarantees heartache. Those things are the results of a fallen world. Before sin there were no trials and there was no heartache. But He promises, too, that He has overcome those things. He has defeated death - and we can, too, if we accept Christ as our Lord and Savior. I can't put into words what a relief that is! My pain on earth won't end when my sweet granddaddy goes to be with the Lord, I will miss him immensely. But knowing that Christ has overwhelmed the grave and we have victory in His name, how can I not rejoice?
Snuggling w/Livi - Christmas 2007

Playing outside w/Livi - Christmas 2009

Meeting Brooks - April 2009

Hanging out w/Brooks - Christmas 2009


No comments: