September 23, 2010

"Forgotten God"

Matt and I have been fortunate enough to be in a new Bible study with some friends in Lexington. It's called "Forgotten God" and it's by Francis Chan. It's all about getting back to the basics. Remembering how we felt when we were first filled with the Holy Spirit and finding daily opportunities to express our love for Him. It describes believers and churches as empty, mostly known for their talent, preschools, and eclectic programs. It's been so challenging to see myself as filled, but not effective. What a contrast from what God wants for me to be. The Holy Spirit was sent to us to be our guide, in daily life and in the "big moments"!

Notables:

*In John 14:16, Christ says, "And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever". Not for today or tomorrow, but forever!

*James 3:11 "Does a spring pour forth from the same opening both fresh and salt water?" How then can I claim to be in the Spirit but pour out "salty" water?

*Just a question to ask yourself: When was the last time I undeniably saw the Holy Spirit at work in or around me?

* The Spirit helps us speak when we are in precarious situations and need to bear witness (Mark 13:11, Luke 12:12).

*He guides us in the way we should go (Ps. 142:10, Acts 9:31, 13:2, 15:28).

*The Spirit not only initially draws people to God, He also draws believers closer to Jesus (Acts 1:8, Rom 8:26)

*The Spirit sets us free from the sins we cannot get rid of on our own (Rom 8:2)

*Why should we want the Holy Spirit to be alive and well in us?...To become more like Christ! Isn't that part of our goal afterall?

I could go on and on and on. But I won't This is a really challenging study. It's very Bible-driven, not just one of those feel-goood/self-help types of books. It penetrates my heart and humbles me minute by minute. Even now I'm seeing how I've not done my best today. I've done better at leading a Spirit-filled life, but it's only 2:12pm and I can feel the enemy tugging at my mind.

No comments: